Commission Agendas | previous page
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
March 12, 2013, at 1:30 P.M. CDT
Room 413, Capitol Building
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 5:00 p.m. CDT on Monday, March 11, 2013. Lines are limited and are given out on a first come, first served basis, subject to possible reassignment to accommodate persons who must appear in a proceeding. Ultimately, if you wish to participate in the Commission Meeting and a line is not available, you may have to appear in person.
NOTE: To listen to the Commission Meeting live please go to the PUC's website www.puc.sd.gov and click on the LIVE link on the home page. The Commission requests persons who will only be listening to proceedings and not actively appearing in a case listen via the web cast to free phone lines for those who have to appear. The Commission meetings are archived on the PUC's website under the Commission Actions tab, Click on “Commission Meeting Archives,” to access the recordings.
NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF COMMISSION MEETING
1. Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission (Consumer Affairs: Deb Gregg)
1. EL13-005 In the Matter of the Joint Request for an Electric Service Territory Boundary Change between Black Hills Power, Inc., and Black Hills Electric Cooperative, Inc. (Staff Analyst: Matthew Tysdal; Staff Attorney: Kristen Edwards)
On February 15, 2013, the Commission received a Joint Request for an Electric Service Territory Boundary Change between Black Hills Power, Inc. (BHP) and Black Hills Electric Cooperative, Inc. (BHE). The proposed change will allow BHP and BHE to better follow section lines and property boundaries for future development and is located near the intersections of Highway 16 and Catron Boulevard in Rapid City. The proposed trade will require the transfer of one residential customer and a water well owned by that same customer from BHE to BHP, to which the customer has consented.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Joint Request for an Electric Service Territory Boundary Change?
2. EL13-006 In the Matter of the Petition of Northern States Power Company dba Xcel Energy for Approval of its 2013 Transmission Cost Recovery Eligibility and Rate Adjustment (Staff Analyst: Brittany Mehlhaff; Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On February 27, 2013, the Commission received a petition from Northern States Power Company dba Xcel Energy (Xcel) for approval of its 2013 Transmission Cost Recovery (TCR) Rider, Adjustment Factor, and Tracker Account report. For 2013, Xcel proposes to begin recovery of the South Dakota jurisdictional portion of the revenue requirements related to twenty-two transmission projects located throughout its service territory. Xcel proposes to recover $2.45 million associated with these projects for the 2013 calendar year. Included in the $2.45 million figure is the 2012 unrecovered balance of $227,462. The total of the transmission investment costs and the tracker balance results in an average bill impact of a $0.46 per month for a typical residential electric customer using 750 kWh per month. This is a decrease of $1.82 per month from the current TCR Rider recovery. The Company proposes to implement a rate of $0.000612 per kWh applied to all energy billed to each customer class beginning April 1, 2013, through December 2013. This represents a decrease of $0.002426 from the existing rate of $0.003038 per kWh.
TODAY, shall the Commission assess a filing fee in the amount of $50,000 to account for actual expenses incurred in review of this filing commencing from the filing date? AND, shall the Commission suspend the imposition of the tariff for 180 days beyond February 27, 2013? AND, shall the Commission give the Executive Director authority to enter necessary consulting contracts?
Items for Commission Discussion
- Commissioners and staff will meet with consumers at the Sioux Empire Home Show, March 8-10, 2013, at the Sioux Falls Convention Center, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- A hearing in Dockets TC13-011 through TC13-016 will be held beginning at 1:00 p.m. CDT on Tuesday, March 12, 2013, in Room 413 at the State Capitol Building, Pierre, S.D.
- Commissioners and staff will meet with consumers at the Black Hills Home Show, March 22-24, 2013, at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, Rapid City, S.D.
- The next regularly scheduled commission meeting will be Tuesday, March 26, 2013, at 9:30 a.m. CDT in Room 413 at the State Capitol Building, Pierre, S.D.
- Commission meetings are scheduled for April 9 and 23, 2013.
March 5, 2013