Commission Minutes | previous page
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
Thursday, April 1, 1999; 2:00 P.M.
State Capitol Building, Room 412, Pierre, South Dakota
MINUTES OF THE AD HOC MEETING
Chairman Jim Burg called the meeting to order. Present were Commissioner Pam Nelson, Commissioner Laska Schoenfelder, Executive Director Bill Bullard, Commission Advisor Greg Rislov, General Counsel Rolayne Ailts Wiest, Staff Attorneys Karen Cremer and Camron Hoseck, Telecommunications Analyst Harlan Best, Utility Analysts Dave Jacobson, Michele Farris and Keith Senger, Consumer Representative Leni Healy and Administrative Secretary Shirleen Fugitt.
Also present were Rich Coit, SDITC, and Lori Grode, Pierre Court Reporting.
Joining the meeting by phone were Bill Heaston, DTG; Mary Lohnes, Midco Communications; Mary Jane Rasher, Michele Singer and Letty Friesen, AT&T; and Todd Lundy, U S WEST.
1. TC99-030 IN THE MATTER OF THE FCC ORDER ESTABLISHING NEW DEADLINES FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF INTRALATA DIALING PARITY BY LOCAL EXCHANGE CARRIERS. (Staff Analyst: Harlan Best. Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer.)
Ms. Wiest recommended the following guidelines for an intraLATA dialing parity plan:
1. A description of how the LEC will offer dialing parity for each exchange and its proposed time schedule;
2. A proposal for timely notification of its subscribers and the methods it proposes to use to enable subscribers to select an intraLATA toll provider, including the language the LEC proposes to use in its customer notification letter. The proposals shall include notification to current customers and new customers who join the network after the implementation of dialing parity;
3. A LEC that is not a BOC must identify the LATA with which it will associate for the purposes of providing intraLATA and interLATA toll dialing parity;
4. A description of how carriers will be informed of the implementation process and schedule and how carriers may participate in the process; and
5. A description of how the LEC's business office will handle requests to change carriers.
Ms. Wiest further recommended that if a LEC needed cost recovery, the LEC should file for cost recovery in a separate proceeding consistent with FCC rules.
Chairman Burg moved to adopt the guidelines and position on cost recovery as proposed by Ms. Wiest. Commissioner Nelson seconded and Commissioner Schoenfelder concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
The meeting was adjourned.