Commission Minutes | previous page
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
Wednesday, January 6, 1999; 9:00 A.M.
State Capitol Building, Room 412
Pierre, South Dakota
MINUTES OF THE COMMISSION MEETING
Chairman Jim Burg called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. Present were Commissioner Pam Nelson, Commissioner Laska Schoenfelder, Executive Director Bill Bullard, Deputy Director Sue Cichos, Commission Advisor Greg Rislov, General Counsel Rolayne Ailts Wiest, Staff Attorneys Karen Cremer and Camron Hoseck, Telecommunications Analyst Harlan Best, Utility Analysts Bob Knadle and Steve Wegman, Engineer Martin Bettmann, Consumer Representative Leni Healy, and Administrative Secretary Shirleen Fugitt.
Also present were Rich Coit, SDITC; Dave Gerdes, MCI Worldcom; Tom Harmon, Sprint Communications; and Jennifer Stalley, SDREA.
Joining the meeting by phone were Neil Schmid, FirsTel; Deanna Jensen and Mary Jane Rasher, AT&T; Mary Lohnes, Midco Communications; Jennifer Erschen, Telecommunications Reports; Don Low, Sprint; Todd Lundy and Colleen Sevold, U S WEST; Todd Epp, Basec.Net; and Kyle White, Black Hills Power & Light.
1. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Commission Meeting Held On December 30, 1998. (Staff: Shirleen Fugitt.)
Commissioner Nelson moved to approve the December 30, 1998, minutes. Commissioner Schoenfelder seconded and Chairman Burg concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
1. Status Report On Consumer Utility Inquiries And Complaints Recently Received By The Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Leni Healy.)
Ms. Healy presented an update on consumer inquiries and complaints received since the last Commission meeting.
1. NG98-012 IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF MONTANA-DAKOTA UTILITIES CO. FOR APPROVAL OF REVISIONS TO ELLSWORTH AIR FORCE BASE, RATE 64. (Staff Analyst: Dave Jacobson. Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer.)
Ms. Cremer requested deferral. Action was deferred.
1. TC98-185 IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF EQUALITY, INC. FOR A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY TO PROVIDE TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES IN SOUTH DAKOTA. (Staff Analyst: Harlan Best. Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer.)
Mr. Best explained the application and recommended approval.
Commissioner Schoenfelder moved to approve the application. Commissioner Nelson seconded and Chairman Burg concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
2. TC98-194 IN THE MATTER OF THE COMPLAINT FILED BY BASEC.NET, HURON, SOUTH DAKOTA, AGAINST U S WEST COMMUNICATIONS AND FIRSTEL, INC. REGARDING BILLING ISSUES. (Consumer Representative: Leni Healy. Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer.)
Todd Epp, Basec.Net, noted no opposition to U S WEST's request for expedited response time.
Commissioner Nelson moved to grant U S WEST's request for expedited response time. Commissioner Schoenfelder seconded and Chairman Burg concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
3. TC98-205 IN THE MATTER OF THE FILING BY U S WEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC. FOR APPROVAL OF INTERCONNECTION AGREEMENT BETWEEN BLACK HILLS FIBERCOM, INC. AND U S WEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC. (Staff Attorney: Camron Hoseck.)
Mr. Hoseck brought up the issue of whether or not this agreement could be considered discriminatory.
Chairman Burg moved to approve the agreement. Commissioner Nelson seconded and Commissioner Schoenfelder concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
Mary Jane Rasher representing AT&T explained the request for reconsideration. Ms. Wiest recommended denial.
Commissioner Nelson moved to deny AT&T's request for reconsideration. Chairman Burg seconded and Commissioner Schoenfelder concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
Mr. Bettmann presented an update on the Y2K project.
The meeting was adjourned.