Commission Minutes | previous page
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
Wednesday, September 23, 1998; 8:30 A.M.
State Capitol Building, Room 464
Pierre, South Dakota
MINUTES OF THE COMMISSION MEETING
Chairman Jim Burg called the meeting to order. Present were Commissioner Pam Nelson, Commissioner Laska Schoenfelder, Executive Director Bill Bullard, Deputy Director Sue Cichos, General Counsel Rolayne Ailts Wiest, Commission Advisor Greg Rislov, Staff Attorney Karen Cremer, Telecommunications Analyst Harlan Best, Utility Analysts Bob Knadle and Dave Jacobson, Consumer Representative Leni Healy, Utility Intern Kylie Tracy and Administrative Secretary Shirleen Fugitt.
Also present were Brenda Kleinjan, SDREA; Brian Meyer, SDITC; Bob Miller, South Dakota Electric Utility Companies; and Dominick Sekich and Mary Tribby, AT&T.
Joining the meeting by phone were Sarah Kilgore and Jerry Campbell, AT&T; Bill Heaston and Barbara Berkenpas, DTG; Colleen Sevold, Jim Gallegos and John Devaney, U S WEST; Mary Lohnes, Midco Communications; Brian Donahoe, Baltic Telecom; Rod Carlson, Sioux Falls Cable; Brent Steffens and Amy Ibis, FirsTel; and John Grant, complainant in TC98-149.
1. Approval Of The Minutes Of The Commission Meeting Held On September 10, 1998. (Staff: Shirleen Fugitt.)
Commissioner Nelson moved to approve the minutes of the September 10, 1998, Commission meeting. Commissioner Schoenfelder seconded and Chairman Burg concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
1. Status Report On Consumer Utility Inquiries And Complaints Recently Received By The Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Leni Healy.)
Ms. Healy presented an update on consumer inquiries and complaints received since the last Commission meeting.
5. TC98-149 IN THE MATTER OF THE COMPLAINT FILED BY LOWN HOUSE RESTAURANT, SPEARFISH, SOUTH DAKOTA, AGAINST AT&T COMMUNICATIONS OF THE MIDWEST, INC., REGARDING CONSUMER SERVICE ISSUES. (Consumer Representative: Leni Healy. Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer.)
John Grant explained his complaint against AT&T and FirsTel dealing with an unauthorized switch in service from AT&T to FirsTel. Information was presented by Jerry Campbell, AT&T, and Brent Steffens, FirsTel. Ms. Cremer stated that because the facts are confusing, she is recommending finding probable cause. Ms. Wiest suggested requesting more information from the companies.
Commissioner Nelson moved to find probable cause. Motion died for lack of a second.
Commissioner Schoenfelder recommended deferral. The companies will have one week to provide additional information.
Mary Tribby, AT&T, spoke in support of AT&T's emergency motion for implementation of previous Commission orders or of undisputed portions of the interconnection agreement. John Devaney, U S WEST, spoke in opposition to AT&T's emergency motion. Ms. Wiest recommended denial of AT&T's motion.
Chairman Burg moved to deny AT&T's motion. Motion died for lack of a second.
Commissioner Nelson moved to grant AT&T's motion. Commissioner Schoenfelder seconded. Chairman Burg dissented. Motion passed 2-1.
Commissioner Schoenfelder moved to grant intervention to DTG, DTI and DCT. Chairman Burg seconded and Commissioner Nelson concurred. Motion passed 3-0. The Executive Director will set a procedural schedule.
2. TC98-108 IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF ICG TELECOM GROUP, INC., FOR A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY TO PROVIDE TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES IN SOUTH DAKOTA. (Staff Analyst: Harlan Best. Staff Attorney: Camron Hoseck.)
Mr. Best explained the application and recommended approval.
Commissioner Schoenfelder moved to approve the application. Chairman Burg seconded and Commissioner Nelson concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
Chairman Burg moved to grant intervention to DTC, SDITC and U S WEST. Commissioner Nelson seconded and Commissioner Schoenfelder concurred. Motion passed 3-0.
4. TC98-148 IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF SIOUX FALLS CABLE TELEVISION FOR A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY TO PROVIDE TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES IN SOUTH DAKOTA. (Staff Analyst: Dave Jacobson. Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer.)
Commissioner Nelson moved to grant intervention to Baltic Telecom Cooperative, SDITC, DTI and DTG. Commissioner Schoenfelder seconded and Chairman Burg concurred. Motion passed 3-0. The Executive Director will set a procedural schedule.
The meeting was adjourned.