Commission Agendas | previous page
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
April 8, 2008, at 9:30 A.M.
State Capitol Building, Room 464
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 5:00 p.m. on April 7, 2008. Lines are limited and are given out on first come/first serve basis, subject to possible reassignment to accommodate persons who must appear in a proceeding. Ultimately, if you wish to participate in the Commission Meeting and a line is not available you may have to appear in person.
NOTE: To listen to the Commission Meeting live please go to the PUC's Web site www.puc.sd.gov and click on the LIVE button on the home page. The Commission requests that persons who will only be listening to proceedings and not actively appearing in a case listen via the Web cast to free phone lines for those who have to appear. The Commission meetings are archived on the PUC's Web site under the Commission Actions tab and then click on the LISTEN button on the page.
NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF COMMISSION MEETING
- Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Deb Gregg)
1. EL08-001 - In the Matter of the Application of Xcel Energy for a Permit to Construct 6.5 Miles of 115 Kv Transmission Line and Associated Modifications to the Brookings Substation. (Staff Analysts: Bob Knadle/Brian Rounds, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On January 31, 2008, Northern States Power Company, a Minnesota Corporation d/b/a Xcel Energy, submitted an application for a Construction Permit to build the following: 1. A new 6.5 mile 115 kV transmission line from the Brookings County Substation to the Minnesota/South Dakota border; and 2. Modifications to the Brookings County Substation to accommodate the new 115 kV line. The application comprises the western portion of the Buffalo Ridge Incremental Generation Outlet project which connects the Brookings County Substation to the Yankee Substation northwest of Lake Benton, Minnesota. On March 31, 2008, the Brookings County Commission filed an Application for Party Status.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant the Application for Party Status?
2. EL08-005 - In the Matter of the Joint Request for an Electric Service Rights Exception between Clay-Union Electric Corporation and NorthWestern Corporation d/b/a NorthWestern Energy. (Staff Analysts: Bob Knadle/Nathan Solem, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On February 29, 2008, Northwestern Corporation d/b/a NorthWestern Energy (NWE) and Clay-Union Electric Corporation (CUEC) filed for Commission approval of a service exception between NWE and CUEC. Per customer request, NWE and CUEC propose to allow CUEC to provide electric service to the Midcontinent Communications Booster Station located in NWE territory near the Northwest Corner of the Northwest Quarter (NW1/4) of Section Sixteen (S16), Township Ninety-three North (T.93N.), Range Fifty-five West (R.55W) of the Fifth (5th) Principal Meridian, Yankton County, South Dakota. The Booster Station is located next to a CUEC transformer pole while the NWE line is across the street.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Joint Request for an Electric Service Rights Exception?
3. EL08-006 - In the Matter of the Joint Request for Electric Service Territory Boundary Changes between Sioux Valley-Southwestern Electric Cooperative, d/b/a Sioux Valley Energy and Brookings Municipal Utilities. (Staff Analyst: Nathan Solem, Staff Attorney: Kara Semmler)
On March 3, 2008, Sioux Valley-Southwestern Electric Cooperative, d/b/a Sioux Valley Energy (SVE) and Brookings Municipal Utilities (BMU) filed for Commission approval of two territory boundary changes. First, BMU provides service to a church outside municipal electric boundaries under the terms of a Territory Agreement entered into February 23, 2005. The transformer serving the church is located in annexed land subject to said agreement. Approval for this existing service exception is now sought.
Second, according to a Territory Agreement dated March 17, 2004, BMU serves residential customers in two platted sections not annexed. Approval for this existing service exception is now sought.
The utilities, subject to the above agreements, state the territory changes prevent unnecessary duplication of facilities, provide adequate electric service and prevent the stranding of facilities.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Joint Request for an ElectricServiceTerritory Boundary Change?
On November 6, 2006, Americatel Corporation (Americatel) filed to amend its certificate of authority by requesting the removal of the requirement to post a surety bond. Americatel filed the financials as confidential. On March 28, 2008, Americatel filed a letter requesting Withdrawal of Application.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant the Withdrawal Request?
2. TC07-104 - In the Matter of the Filing by PrairieWave Community Telephone, Inc. for an Exemption from Developing Company Specific Cost-Based Switched Access Rates. (Staff Analyst: Harlan Best, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On September 17, 2007, PrairieWave Community Telephone, Inc. filed a petition requesting an exemption from filing company specific cost-based switched access rates. On October 10, 2007, a Petition for Intervention by AT&T Communications of the Midwest, Inc., and Limited Opposition to Petition of PrairieWave for an Exemption were filed. Intervention was granted to AT&T at the October 23, 2007, commission meeting. AT&T's request to withdraw was granted at the March 25, 2008, commission meeting.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant the Exemption from Developing Company Specific Cost-Based Switched Access Rates?
2. In the Matter of the Filing for Approval of an Amendment to an Interconnection Agreement in Dockets TC08-004 and TC08-029
TC08-004 - In the Matter of the Filing for Approval of an Amendment to an Interconnection Agreement between Qwest Corporation and Iowa Wireless Services, LLC d/b/a i Wireless. (Staff Attorney: Kara Semmler)
On January 14, 2008, the Commission received a filing for approval of a Single Point of Presence (SPOP) Amendment to the Interconnection Agreement between Qwest Corporation and Iowa Wireless Services, LLC d/b/a i Wireless for the State of South Dakota.
On February 12, 2008 the Commission received a filing for approval of a Boarder Town Amendment to the Interconnection Agreement between Qwest Corporation and Midcontinent Communications.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Amendments in the Above Referenced Dockets?
On February 12, 2008 the Commission received a filing for approval of a Wireline Interconnection Agreement between Qwest Corporation and Midcontinent Communications.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Interconnection Agreement?
4. TC08-033 - In the Matter of the Filing by Brookings Telephone d/b/a Swiftel Communications for Approval of Revisions to the Local Exchange Service Territory for the City of Brookings, South Dakota. (Staff Analyst: Bob Knadle, Staff Attorney: Kara Semmler)
As a result of a 2006 annexation to the City of Brookings, the Commission received a filing from Swiftel Communications pursuant to SDCL 49-31-69 for approval to amend its certificate of authority.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Revisions to the Local Exchange Service Territory?
- The next regularly scheduled Commission meeting will be held April 22, 2008, at 9:30 a.m. in Room 464, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD.
- Commission meetings are scheduled for May 6 and May 20, 2008.
- A second interconnection workshop as part of Docket EL06-018 will be held April 10, 2008. The workshop is web-based and will begin at 9:00 a.m.
- A hearing in dockets TC07-111 through TC07-116 will be held April 23 – April 25, 2008 in Room 464, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD. The hearing will begin at 9:00 a.m. on April 23.
- The Public Utilities Commission offices will be closed Monday, May 26, 2008, in observance of Memorial Day.
_/S/ Electronic Signature____
Heather K. Forney
Deputy Executive Director
April 1, 2008