Commission Agendas | previous page
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
Tuesday, January 15, 2008, at 2:00 P.M.
State Capitol Building, Room
464 412 Change of Location Notice
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 5:00 p.m. on January 14, 2008. Lines are limited and are given out on first come/first serve basis, subject to possible reassignment to accommodate persons who must appear in a proceeding. Ultimately, if you wish to participate in the Commission Meeting and a line is not available you may have to appear in person.
NOTE: To listen to the Commission Meeting live please go to the PUC's Web site www.puc.sd.gov and click on the LIVE button on the home page. The Commission requests that persons who will only be listening to proceedings and not actively appearing in a case listen via the Web cast to free phone lines for those who have to appear. The Commission meetings are archived on the PUC's Web site under the Commission Actions tab and then click on the LISTEN button on the page.
NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF COMMISSION MEETING
1. Approval of the Minutes of the Commission Meetings Held on October 23, 2007, and November 20, 2007. (Staff: Demaris Axthelm)
1. Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Deb Gregg)
Application by MidAmerican Energy to remove tariff language regarding charging customers for the installation of excess flow valves. For new or replacement single residence, residential service lines operating at ten pounds per square inch gauge or greater, MidAmerican will install EFVs as a standard construction practice and customers will not be subject to installation or post-installation costs as a result of this change in construction practice.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Tariff Revisions?
1. TC07-107 In the Matter of Unauthorized Long Distance Changes and Unauthorized Telephone Charges Made by Reduced Rates Long Distance. (Staff Analysts: Brian Rounds/Keith Senger/Deb Gregg, Staff Attorney: Kara Semmler)
On October 5, 2007, Staff filed a Motion for Order to Show Cause against Reduced Rates Long Distance based on twenty-three consumer complaints of cramming and slamming activity by Reduced Rates. Staff alleges Reduced Rates Long Distance changed consumer long distance providers and/or added fees to consumer bills through deceptive practices and without proper authorization. On October 10, 2007, Midcontinent Communications (Midcontinent) filed a Petition to Intervene. Intervention was granted to Midcontinent at the December 18, 2007, commission meeting. On December 27, 2007, a Petition to Intervene was filed by PrairieWave Black Hills, LLC and PrairieWave Telecommunications, Inc.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant Intervention to PrairieWave Black Hills, LLC and PrairieWave Telecommunications, Inc.?
2. TC07-118 In the Matter of the Filing by PrairieWave Telecommunications, Inc. for an Exemption from Developing Company Specific Cost-Based Switched Access Rates. (Staff Analyst: Harlan Best, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On November 16, 2007, PrairieWave Telecommunications, Inc. (PrairieWave) filed a Petition for Exemption from ARSD 20:10:27:11 to 20:10:27:13. PrairieWave requests that the Commission exempt PrairieWave from developing company-specific cost-based switched access rates in 2007 and to continue to charge its currently tariffed intrastate switched access charges. On December 14, 2007, a Petition for Intervention was filed by AT&T Communications of the Midwest.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant the Petition for Intervention to AT&T Communications of the Midwest?
1. Election of a Vice-Chairperson of the Commission. (General Counsel: John Smith.)
South Dakota Codified Law 49-1-8 states in part that, "The members of the Commission shall elect a chairperson by majority vote and prescribe his duties." Traditionally, the three Commissioners have elected a Chairperson and a Vice-Chairperson every two years. SDCL 49-1-12 requires that, "Every vote and official action of the Public Utilities Commission shall be entered of record and its proceedings shall be public upon the request of either party or any person interested." Accordingly, the determination of the Commission's leadership structure shall be made at this public meeting. Commissioner Hanson was elected Chairman at the December 18, 2007, commission meeting.
TODAY, how shall the Commission Proceed?
1. The next regularly scheduled Commission meeting will be held January 29, 2008, at 2:00 p.m. in Room 464, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD.
2. Commission meetings are scheduled for February 12 and 26, 2008.
3. An open house for Legislators will be held in the Commission offices on Tuesday, January 15, 2008, from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
4. The Commission offices will be closed Monday, January 21, 2008, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Heather K. Forney
Deputy Executive Director
January 8, 2008