South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
December 18, 2012, at 9:30 A.M. CST
Room 412, Capitol Building
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 5:00 p.m. CST on Monday, December 17, 2012. Lines are limited and are given out on a first come, first served basis, subject to possible reassignment to accommodate persons who must appear in a proceeding. Ultimately, if you wish to participate in the Commission Meeting and a line is not available, you may have to appear in person.
NOTE: To listen to the Commission Meeting live please go to the PUC's website www.puc.sd.gov and click on the LIVE link on the home page. The Commission requests persons who will only be listening to proceedings and not actively appearing in a case listen via the web cast to free phone lines for those who have to appear. The Commission meetings are archived on the PUC's website under the Commission Actions tab, Click on "Commission Meeting Archives," to access the recordings.NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF COMMISSION MEETING
1. Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission (Consumer Affairs: Deb Gregg)
1. EL12-057 In the Matter of the Request for a Declaratory Ruling by NorthWestern Corporation dba NorthWestern Energy regarding the recovery of curtailed energy costs through the Fuel Adjustment Clause (Staff Analyst: Dave Jacobson, Staff Attorney: Kristen Edwards)
On November 16, 2012, the Commission received a filing by NorthWestern Corporation dba NorthWestern Energy (NorthWestern). This filing is pursuant to ARSD 20:10:01:34 whereby NorthWestern is petitioning the Commission to issue a declaratory ruling that certain amounts NorthWestern is required to pay to Rolling Thunder I Power Partners, LLC (Rolling Thunder) in conjunction with the Titan I Wind Project may be included in the automatic adjustment of charges authorized by SDCL § 49-34A-25. NorthWestern requests that a ruling be issued prior to December 31, 2012, so the charges can be appropriately recorded in the correct account for year-end reporting.
TODAY, how shall the Commission rule on the Petition for a Declaratory Ruling? OR how shall the Commission proceed?
2. EL12-058 In the Matter of the Joint Request for Service Rights Exception between NorthWestern Corporation dba NorthWestern Energy and Bon Homme, Yankton Electric Association, Inc. (Staff Analyst: Matthew Tysdal, Staff Attorney: Kristen Edwards)
On November 20, 2012, NorthWestern Corporation dba NorthWestern Energy (NorthWestern) submitted for South Dakota Public Utilities Commission (Commission) approval a Service Territory Exception Agreement between NorthWestern and Bon Homme Yankton Electric Association, Inc. (B Y Electric). Mr. Craig Vanderlei requested that NorthWestern allow B Y Electric to provide a three-phase service to an irrigation well located in NorthWestern's service territory.
TODAY, shall the Commission approve the requested service rights exception?
3. EL12-059 In the Matter of the Request for Approval of an Electric Service Territory Boundary Agreement between Cherry-Todd Electric Cooperative, Inc. and Rosebud Electric Cooperative, Inc. (Staff Analyst: Matthew Tysdal, Staff Attorney: Kristen Edwards)
On November 21, 2012, Commission Staff filed an Electric Service Territory Boundary Agreement between Cherry-Todd Electric Cooperative, Inc. and Rosebud Electric Cooperative, Inc. This filing is made pursuant to current efforts of the PUC to verify electric territory mapping data for conversion to electronic format and use in a Geographic Information System (GIS) database. With the assistance of the above-referenced utilities, Commission Staff has confirmed the service territory boundary shared by these utilities and has prepared updated mapping information. Commission Staff asks for approval of the agreement to update official mapping data to properly reflect the service territory boundaries shared by the utilities in this docket.
TODAY, shall the Commission approve the proposed electric service territory boundary agreement?
1. NG12-006 In the Matter of the Filing by Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. for Approval of an Application for Authority to Implement an Interruptible Natural Gas Transportation Service Rate 86 and Associated Tariff Revisions (Staff Analysts: Dave Jacobson, Patrick Steffensen, Staff Attorney: Kristen Edwards)
On October 18, 2012, the Commission received an application by Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. (MDU) requesting authority to implement an Interruptible Natural Gas Transportation Service to be made available to customers in its East River Natural Gas System. On November 19, 2012, and December 7, 2012, MDU responded to staff's data requests.
TODAY, shall the Commission approve MDU's proposed new East River Transportation Rate 86 and associated tariff revisions?
On October 1, 2012, AT&T Corp. (AT&T) filed for Commission approval of its Access Services and Network Interconnection Services Tariff. This replaces the current AT&T Communications of the Midwest, Inc.'s Access Services and Network Interconnection Services Tariff in its entirety and does not include any new rate, price or practice. AT&T requests an effective date of November 1, 2012.
TODAY, shall the Commission approve AT&T's tariff revisions?
On October 31, 2012, the Commission received a filing by Common Point LLC (Common Point) for approval of it Access Services Tariff No. 1. This tariff applies to Access Services furnished by Common Point between one or more points within South Dakota. On November 16, 2012, AT&T filed a Petition to Intervene and Request to Suspend the Tariff and Investigate. Intervention was granted to AT& T Corp. on December 4, 2012.
TODAY, shall the Commission grant AT&T's request to suspend the tariff?
On November 14, 2012, the Commission received a filing pursuant to 47 U.S.C. § 252 for approval of the Wireline Interconnection Agreement between Qwest Corporation dba CenturyLink QC and Hypercube Telecom, LLC.
TODAY, shall the Commission approve the interconnection agreement?
4. TC12-190 In the Matter of the Filling by Qwest Corporation dba CenturyLink for Approval of Waiver of the Utilization Threshold Requirements in Sioux Falls, South Dakota (Staff Analyst: Dave Jacobson, Staff Attorney: Kristen Edwards)
On December 11, 2012, Qwest Corporation dba CenturyLink (CenturyLink) filed for a waiver of the utilization threshold requirements outlined in FCC's Number Resource Optimization Orders, FCC 00-429 and FCC 01-362 released in CC Docket No. 99-200, which would allow PA/NeuStar, the Number Pooling Administrator, to open a new NXX Code to provide 1,000 numbers to CenturyLink in the 605 NPA, Sioux Falls Rate Center.
TODAY, shall the Commission approve the request for Waiver of Utilization Threshold Requirements?
Items for Commission Discussion
- A hearing in Docket GW12-002 will be held beginning at 1:30 p.m. CDT on Tuesday, December 18, 2012, in Room 413 at the State Capitol Building, Pierre, S.D.
- Commissioners and staff will meet with representatives of NorthWestern Energy on Wednesday, December 19, 2012, at 9:30 a.m. CST in Room 413 at the State Capitol Building in Pierre, S.D. The agenda is to discuss the company's finance department overview, wholesale operations, South Dakota operations and customer care.
- The PUC offices will be closed Monday, December 24 and Tuesday, December 25, 2012, in observance of Christmas.
- The PUC offices will be closed Tuesday, January 1, 2013, in observance of New Year's Day.
- The next regularly scheduled commission meeting will be Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at 2:30 p.m. CST in Room 413 at the State Capitol Building, Pierre, S.D.
- Commission meetings are scheduled for January 29 and February 12, 2013.
December 12, 2012