South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
September 22, 2009, at 9:30 A.M.
Room 413, Capitol Building
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 5:00 p.m. on September 21, 2009. Lines are limited and are given out on a first come, first served basis, subject to possible reassignment to accommodate persons who must appear in a proceeding. Ultimately, if you wish to participate in the Commission Meeting and a line is not available you may have to appear in person.
NOTE: To listen to the Commission Meeting live please go to the PUC's Web site www.puc.sd.gov and click on the LIVE button on the home page. The Commission requests that persons who will only be listening to proceedings and not actively appearing in a case listen via the web cast to free phone lines for those who have to appear. The Commission meetings are archived on the PUC's Web site under the Commission Actions tab and then click on the LISTEN button on the page.
NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF COMMISSION MEETING
- Approval of the Minutes of the Commission Meetings Held on June 9 and July 29, 2009. (Staff: Demaris Axthelm)
1. Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Deb Gregg)
1. NG09-001 In the Matter of the Filing by Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. for Approval of its Natural Gas Conservation Programs and Conservation Tracking Adjustment. (Staff Analysts: Brian Rounds/Dave Jacobson/Bob Knadle, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On March 2, 2009, Montana-Dakota Utilities Co. (Montana-Dakota), a Division of MDU Resources Group, Inc., filed an application for Commission approval to remove the experimental qualifier associated with its Gas Conservation Program. The Company is proposing to continue the application of Rate 90 and expand its natural gas portfolio to include four additional gas conservation programs and remove the experimental nature of the current tariff through the implementation of a biennial review of the Company's portfolio of programs to be filed by June 1 of every other year. In a supplemental filing dated April 1, 2009, MDU requested approval of an updated Conservation Tracking Adjustment effective May 1, 2009, and the extension of previously authorized Conservation Programs set to expire on April 30, 2009, to allow additional time for Commission Staff review. At its April 21, 2009, meeting, the Commission approved the tariff revisions and extended the Conservation Programs through September 30, 2009. MDU has requested an additional extension of the previously authorized Conservation Programs set to expire on September 30, 2009.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Proposed Tariff Sheets and Extend the Currently Effective Conservation Program?
1. PS09-001 In the Matter of the Filing of the Investigation of the Natural Gas Incident of March 14, 2009, on Montana-Dakota Utilities Co.'s System in Rapid City, South Dakota. (Staff Analysts: Nathan Solem/Stacy Splittstoesser, Staff Attorney: Kara Semmler)
On Saturday, March 14, 2009, an explosion occurred in Rapid City causing over an estimated $100,000 in damage. Subsequent investigation by the gas company showed leaks in the gas main in front of the facility. Since the loss level met the minimum required for a reportable pipeline incident and due to leaks found, the incident was reported under 49 CFR 191.3, giving the PUC jurisdiction over the incident.
On March 16, 2009, Commission Staff requested a docket be opened regarding an investigation into the incident. A report, including Staff's recommendation regarding whether all pipeline safety rules were properly observed, will be filed for Commission approval at the conclusion of Staff's investigation. On September 10, 2009, Midwest Clutch and Auto Repair (Midwest Clutch) and their insurance company, Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company (Midwest Family) filed a Petition for Leave to Intervene. Midwest Clutch and Midwest Family filed a Request to Test Gas Line on September 10, 2009.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant Intervention to Midwest Clutch and Midwest Family? AND, shall the Commission Grant the Request to Test Gas Line?
On July 1, 2009, the Commission received a filing for approval of a Resale Agreement between Qwest Corporation and Easton Telecom Services, LLC.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Resale Agreement?
On July 15, 2009, the Commission received a filing for approval of an Interconnection Agreement between Qwest Corporation and Matrix Telecom, Inc.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Interconnection Agreement?
- The next regularly scheduled Commission meeting will be held October 6, 2009, at 9:30 a.m. in Room 413, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD.
- Commission meetings are scheduled for October 20 and November 10, 2009.
- A hearing on the Energy Act 2007 new PURPA standards will be held September 22 – 23, 2009, Room 413, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD. The hearing will begin at 1:00 p.m. on September 22.
- An Ad Hoc Commission Meeting will be held September 23, 2009, Room 413, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD. The meeting will begin at 8:30 a.m.
- A public input hearing in dockets HP09-002 and EL09-015 will be held September 30, 2009, in the McKnight Community Center in White, SD. The hearing will begin at 6:00 p.m.
- The Commission offices will be closed Monday, October 12, 2009, in observance of Native American Day.
- A hearing in docket HP09-001 will be held November 2 – 6, 2009, in Room 414, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD.
/S/ Heather K. Forney .
Heather K. Forney
Deputy Executive Director
September 15, 2009