South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
April 7, 2009, at 9:30 A.M.
Room 413, Capitol Building
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 5:00 p.m. on April 6, 2009. Lines are limited and are given out on a first come, first served basis, subject to possible reassignment to accommodate persons who must appear in a proceeding. Ultimately, if you wish to participate in the Commission Meeting and a line is not available you may have to appear in person.
NOTE: To listen to the Commission Meeting live please go to the PUC's Web site www.puc.sd.gov and click on the LIVE button on the home page. The Commission requests that persons who will only be listening to proceedings and not actively appearing in a case listen via the web cast to free phone lines for those who have to appear. The Commission meetings are archived on the PUC's Web site under the Commission Actions tab and then click on the LISTEN button on the page.
NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF COMMISSION MEETING
- Approval of the Minutes of the Commission Meeting held on January 27, 2009. (Staff: Demaris Axthelm)
- Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Deb Gregg)
1. EL08-031 In the Matter of the Application by Buffalo Ridge II LLC a Subsidiary of Iberdrola Renewables, Inc., for an Energy Conversion Facility Permit for the Construction of the Buffalo Ridge II Wind Farm and Associated Collection Substation and Electric Interconnection System. (Staff Analysts: Brian Rounds/Stacy Splittstoesser/Tim Binder, Staff Attorney: Kara Semmler)
On October 31, 2008, Buffalo Ridge II LLC a subsidiary of Iberdrola Renewables, Inc., (Buffalo Ridge) submitted an application for an Energy Conversion Facility Permit for the Construction of the Buffalo Ridge II Wind Farm and Associated Collection Substation and Electric Interconnection System. The applicant proposes to construct and operate a wind farm on up to 77 acres dispersed throughout portions of up to 77 sections of land in Brookings and Deuel County as well as a 13-mile long 115 kilovolt overhead transmission line. The proposed wind farm could have a name plate capacity of up to 306 megawatts. Due to scheduling and notice complications, at the Commission's meeting on November, 25, 2008, Buffalo Ridge and Staff requested an extension of the public hearing time frame outlined in SDCL 49-41B-16 to hold the public hearing as is required according to SDCL 49-41B-15 on January 5, 2008 and to extend the time for intervention. The Commission granted the extension request at its November 25, 2008, meeting, setting the hearing date for January 5, 2008 and the intervention deadline on January 16, 2008. The Deuel County Commission filed an Application for Party Status on December 3, 2008. The South Dakota Rural Electric Association (SDREA) filed a Petition for Intervention on December 24, 2008. Sioux Valley Energy and H-D Electric Cooperative filed Petitions for Intervention on December 29, 2008. The Brookings County Commission filed an Application for Party Status on January 13, 2009. On January 15, 2009, Ralph Terrell Spence and Catherine D. Carter filed Applications for Party Status. Buffalo Ridge filed a Motion for Entry of Protective Order on January 16, 2009. Intervention was granted to all parties and the Motion for Entry of Protective Order was granted at the January 27, 2009, Commission meeting. Staff indicated that it, along with other parties, may file Settlement and Stipulation Agreements for Commission approval.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve any Settlement and Stipulation Agreements that have been Filed?
1. TC08-122 In the Matter of the Petition of Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Telephone Authority for Arbitration Pursuant to the Telecommunications Act of 1996 to Resolve Issues Relating to an Interconnection Agreement with Alltel Communications, LLC. (Staff Analysts: Roger Oldenkamp/Jon Thurber, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On October 21, 2008, Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Telephone Authority (CRST) filed a petition for arbitration of certain unresolved terms and conditions of a proposed Interconnection and Reciprocal Compensation Agreement (Agreement) between CRST and Alltel Communications, LLC (Alltel), pursuant to Section 252 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, SDCL 49-31-81, and ARSD 20:10:32:29. CRST filed a list of unresolved issues and requested relief. On December 4, 2008, the parties filed a Stipulation to Joint Proposed Procedural Schedule. The Procedural Schedule was approved at the January 27, 2009, commission meeting.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Amended Procedural Schedule?
On March 13, 2009, the Commission received a filing for approval of an Interconnection Agreement between Qwest Corporation and 321 Communications, Inc.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Interconnection Agreement?
1. The next regularly scheduled Commission meeting will be held April 21, 2009, at 9:30 a.m. in Room 412 of the State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD.
2. Commission meetings are scheduled for May 5 and May 19, 2009.
3. The South Dakota Public Utilities Commission will hold an informational wind energy meeting at the Redfield Senior Center on Tuesday, April 7 at 7 p.m.
4. A hearing in docket EL08-031 will be held April 15, 2009, in Room 413, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD. The hearing will begin at 8:30 a.m.
5. The South Dakota Public Utilities Commission is hosting the annual South Dakota/North Dakota Pipeline Safety Seminar April 22-23, 2009, at the Radisson Hotel in Rapid City, SD.
6. A public hearing in docket HP09-001 will be held at 12:00 p.m. Monday, April 27, 2009, at the Winner Community Playhouse, 7th and Leahy Blvd. Winner, SD.
7. A public hearing in docket HP09-001 will be held at 7:00 p.m. Monday, April 27, 2009, at the Philip High School Fine Arts Building, 330 Scottie Avenue Philip, SD.
8 A public hearing in docket HP09-001 will be held at 6:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 28, 2009, at the Harding County Recreation Center 204 Hodge Street Buffalo, SD.
9. A hearing in docket CT08-002 will be held May 5, 2009, in room 413, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD. The hearing will begin at 1:30 p.m.
10. The South Dakota Public Utilities Commission is hosting "Crisis or Renaissance? The State of Energy in America" at the Sioux Falls Convention Center May 11 – 13, 2009.
11. The Commission offices will be closed Monday, May 25, 2009, in observance of Memorial Day.
/S/ Heather K. Forney .
Heather K. Forney
Deputy Executive Director
March 31, 2009