South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
February 10, 2009 at 2:30 P.M.
Room 413, Capitol Building
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 12:00 p.m. on February 10, 2009. Lines are limited and are given out on a first come, first served basis, subject to possible reassignment to accommodate persons who must appear in a proceeding. Ultimately, if you wish to participate in the Commission Meeting and a line is not available you may have to appear in person.
NOTE: To listen to the Commission Meeting live please go to the PUC's Web site www.puc.sd.gov and click on the LIVE button on the home page. The Commission requests that persons who will only be listening to proceedings and not actively appearing in a case listen via the web cast to free phone lines for those who have to appear. The Commission meetings are archived on the PUC's Web site under the Commission Actions tab and then click on the LISTEN button on the page.
NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF COMMISSION MEETING
- Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Deb Gregg)
1. EL08-030 In the Matter of the Filing by Otter Tail Corporation d/b/a Otter Tail Power Company for Authority to Increase Electric Rates in South Dakota. (Staff Analysts: Bob Knadle/Dave Jacobson/Terri LaBrie Baker/Jon Thurber/Tim Binder, Staff Attorney: Kara Semmler)
Application by Otter Tail Power Company (OTP) for approval to increase rates for electric service to customers in its service territory by $3,883,399 annually or approximately 15.3% based on OTP's 2007 test year. The company states the proposed increase for a residential customer would be $10.68 per month or 15.0%. The proposed rates may potentially affect approximately 11,700 customers in OTP's service territory. The Commission assessed a filing fee and suspended the imposition of the tariff for 90 days beyond November 30, 2008, at its November 28, 2008, meeting. Staff filed a proposed consulting contract.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Proposed Consulting Contract? AND, shall the Commission Suspend the Imposition of the Tariff for an Additional 60 days Beyond February 28, 2009?
2. EL08-035 In the Matter of the Petition by Xcel Energy for Fuel Clause Adjustment Recovery of MISO Ancillary Services Market Net Costs and Revenue. Staff Analysts: Dave Jacobson/ Terri LaBrie Baker, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On December 24, 2008, Northern States Power Company, a Minnesota corporation filed for approval of proposed revisions to the Company's Fuel Clause Rider tariff ("Fuel Clause Rider") to allow pass-through of the costs and revenues associated with the Midwest Independent Transmission System Operator, Inc. Ancillary Services Market, scheduled to commence on January 6, 2009. Along with the revised Fuel Clause Rider tariff, the Company requests approval of corresponding revisions in the accounting to recover costs and pass through revenues (i.e., credit offsets to the costs) incurred for South Dakota electric customers.
TODAY, Shall the Commission Approve the Deferral of MISO ASM Charges and Revenues from January 6, 2009, through February 28, 2009, with less than 30 days Notice? AND, shall the Commission Approve Revisions to the Fuel Clause Tariff Rider Allowing Pass-Through of MISO ASM Charges and Revenues Effective March 1, 2009?
1. TC08-109 In the Matter of the Application of Native American Telecom, LLC for a Certificate of Authority to Provide Local Exchange Service on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. (Staff Analysts: Bob Knadle/Terri LaBrie Baker, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On September 9, 2008, Native American Telecom, LLC filed an application for a certificate of authority to provide local exchange telecommunications services on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in the State of South Dakota. Native American Telecom, LLC plans to provide facility based services using advanced wireless technologies and/or fiber optic and other wireline technology. Intervention was granted to Great Plains, Golden West, Fort Randall, and SDTA at the October 7, 2008, commission meeting. On January 16, 2009, the Intervenors filed a Motion to Compel.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant the Motion to Compel?
2. TC08-138 In the Matter of the Filing by Qwest Corporation for Approval of Revisions to its Access Service Tariff. (Staff Analyst: Terri LaBrie Baker, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On December 15, 2008, Qwest Corporation (Qwest) filed a tariff regarding the Facility Signaling Point of Interconnection (FSPOI) to the Common Channel Signaling Network. FSPOIs are Qwest designated ordering points to which customers may establish SS7 signaling connections. No new rates or changes in rates are associated with FSPOI. Qwest is also clarifying language regarding Common Channel Signaling Access Capability multiplexing to be consistent with provisioning processes. The effective date of the proposed changes is January 14, 2009. On January 12, 2009, Qwest filed replacement pages extending the effective date to January 27, 2009.
TODAY, shall the Commission Approve the Revisions to the Access Service Tariff?
3. TC08-139 In the Matter of the Application of NET TALK.COM, INC. for a Certificate of Authority to Provide Local Exchange Services in South Dakota. (Staff Analyst: Jon Thurber, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On December 16, 2008, NET TALK.COM, INC. filed an application for a certificate of authority to provide resold local exchange services in South Dakota. Applicant plans to provide these services throughout the service territory of Qwest Corporation.
TODAY, shall the Commission Grant a Certificate of Authority to NET TALK.COM, INC.?
- The next regularly scheduled Commission meeting will be held February 24, 2009, at 2:30 p.m. in Room 413 of the State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD.
- Commission meetings are scheduled for March 10 and March 24, 2009.
- Commissioners and Staff will be attending the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) Winter Meetings in Washington, DC, February 15 – 18, 2009.
- The Commission offices will be closed Monday, February 16, 2009, in observance of Presidents' Day.
- A hearing in Dockets TC08-142 through TC08-153 will be held in the Cactus Conference Room February 24, 2009, beginning at 9:30 a.m.
- A hearing in docket TC08-122 will be held April 8 – April 9, 2009, in Room 413, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD. The hearing will begin at 9:30 a.m. on April 8.
- A hearing in docket EL08-030 will be held April 14 – April 15, 2009, in Room 413, State Capitol Building, Pierre, SD. The hearing will begin at 9:30 a.m. on April 14.
/S/Heather K. Forney______
Heather K. Forney
Deputy Executive Director
February 3, 2009