Commission Agendas | previous page
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Meeting
Monday, May 24, 2004 at 1:30 P.M.
State Capitol Building, Room 412
Pierre, South Dakota
NOTE: If you wish to join this meeting by conference call, please contact the Commission at 605-773-3201 by 12:00 p.m. on May 24, 2004.
NOTE: Notice is further given to persons with disabilities that this Commission meeting is being held in a physically accessible place. If you have special needs, please notify the Commission and we will make all necessary arrangements.
AGENDA OF THE COMMISSION MEETING
1. Approval of the Minutes of the Commission Meeting Held on May 11, 2004. (Staff: Tina Douglas.)
1. Status Report on Consumer Utility Inquiries and Complaints Received by the Commission. (Consumer Affairs: Jim Mehlhaff)
Application by MidAmerican Energy Company for approval to increase rates for natural gas service in its service territory by $1,559,963 or approximately 1.5% of pro forma test year revenue. MidAmerican states the proposed increase for an average residential customer would be approximately $2.50 per month. The proposed rates may potentially affect approximately 73,100 customers in MidAmerican Energy Company's service territory in southeastern South Dakota. At its April 26, 2004 Ad Hoc meeting, the Commission suspended the imposition of the tariff for 90 days beyond May 2, 2004 and assessed a filing fee for actual expenses not to exceed $100,000. Staff submitted a proposed contract for consulting services to the Commission. The Commission approved the proposed consulting contract at its May 11, 2004 meeting. On May 14, 2004, Northern Natural Gas Company filed for intervention.
TODAY, shall the Commission grant intervention to the Northern Natural Gas Company?
On June 30, 2003, the Local Exchange Carriers Association (LECA) filed revised switched access tariff pages. The purpose of these revisions is to implement changes in rates as necessitated by revisions in member companies' revenue requirements and access minutes of use. At its September 16, 2003, meeting the Commission assessed a filing fee not to exceed $100,000.
TODAY, shall the Commission Establish a Switched Access Rate for the Local Exchange Carriers Association?
2. TC04-003 In the Matter of the Filing by Midcontinent Communications for Designation as an Eligible Telecommunications Carrier within Qwest Service Areas. (Staff Analyst: Harlan Best, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On January 8, 2004, Midcontinent Communications (Midcontinent) filed a petition to be designated as an eligible telecommunications carrier (ETC) for purposes of qualifying to obtain federal universal service support in the Qwest Corporation service areas, except Arlington, Chamberlain, Colman, DeSmet, Elk Point, Flandreau, Hill City, Lake Preston, Morristown, Vermillion, Volga-Bruce, Whitewood, and Yankton. On March 24, 2004, Midcontinent filed a Motion to Amend Petition. By this amendment, the exchanges of North Sioux City and North Valentine would be added to those Qwest service areas excluded from Midcontinent's application for ETC status. The Commission granted the petition amendment at its April 6, 2004 meeting.
TODAY, shall the Commission grant Midcontinent Communications' Request for Designation as an Eligible Telecommunications Carrier within Qwest Service Areas?
3. TC04-017 In the Matter of the Application of Airespring, Inc. for a Certificate of Authority to Provide Interexchange Telecommunications Services in South Dakota. (Staff Analyst: Michele Farris, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On February 6, 2004, Airespring, Inc. filed an application for a Certificate of Authority to provide resold interexchange telecommunication services in South Dakota. Airespring, Inc. intends to provide resold interexchange long distance services, including MTS, 800/888 toll free service, travel card services, and directory assistance to residential and business customers throughout South Dakota.
TODAY, shall the Commission grant a Certificate of Authority to Airespring, Inc.?
4. TC04-064 In the Matter of the Filing by MCImetro Access Transmission Services, LLC d/b/a MCI for Approval of its Intrastate Switched Access Tariff. (Staff Analyst: Keith Senger, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On March 26, 2004, MCImetro Access Transmission Services, LLC d/b/a MCI filed an Intrastate Switched Access Tariff.
TODAY, shall the Commission approve the Intrastate Switched Access Tariff as filed by MCImetro Access Transmission Services, LLC d/b/a MCI?
5. TC04-067 In the Matter of the Application of ACN Communication Services, Inc. for a Certificate of Authority to Provide Local Exchange Services in South Dakota. (Staff Analyst: Keith Senger, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
ACN Communication Services, Inc. is seeking a Certificate of Authority to provide local exchange telecommunications services in Qwest=s service territory. The applicant intends to provide a full range of services and will offer those services through utilizing Qwest UNE-P facilities.
TODAY, shall the Commission grant the Certificate of Authority to ACN Communication Services, Inc.?
6. TC04-083 In the Matter of the Application of Qwest Communications Corporation for a Certificate of Authority to Provide Local Exchange Services in South Dakota. (Staff Analyst: Michele Farris, Staff Attorney: Karen Cremer)
On April 22, 2004, Qwest Communications Corporation (QCC) filed an application for a Certificate of Authority to provide competitive local exchange services in South Dakota. QCC plans to provide a broad range of interLATA and intraLATA telecommunications services for voice and data applications to business and residences throughout South Dakota. QCC will provide competitive local exchange telecommunications service, in conjunction with interexchange telecommunications services and operator services, within South Dakota by means of resale, the leasing of facilities, and/or the construction of its own facilities on a statewide basis. The South Dakota Telecommunications Association filed a Petition to Intervene on May 14, 2004.
TODAY, shall he Commission grant intervention to the South Dakota Telecommunications Association?
1. The next regularly scheduled Commission meeting will be held June 8, 2004, at 9:30 a.m. in Room 412, at Pierre, South Dakota.
2. Commission meetings are scheduled for June 22 and July 6, 2004.
3. A meeting to discuss wind energy will be held at 8:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time in Buffalo, South Dakota on May 25, 2004.
4. A hearing for Docket CT03-006 is scheduled for June 2, 2004, in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
5. A hearing for Docket CT03-007 is scheduled for June 3, 2004, in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
6. Commissioners and Staff will be attending the Mid-America Regulatory Conference in Madison, Wisconsin June 13 - 16, 2004.
7. Hearings are scheduled June 21 - 25, 2004 and June 28 - July 2, 2004, in the LNP Dockets.
Heather K. Forney
Deputy Executive Director
May 19, 2004